Easy How to Draw a Hundertwasser Art Project and Coloring Page
Below you’ll find an easy step-by-step tutorial for a Hundertwasser Art Project and a Hundertwasser Coloring Page. He was an Austrian artist who devoted his life to combining art with nature.
There’s no better way to start a Friedrich Hundertwasser art project than to learn a little about him first. He has a life story that is pretty amazing, plus it’s just kind of fun to say his name!
Friedrich Stowasser (1928 – 2000), better known by his pseudonym Friedensreich Regentag Dunkelbunt Hundertwasser, was an Austrian artist and architect who also worked in the field of environmental protection.
His adopted surname is based on the translation of “sto” (the Slavic word for “one hundred”) into German. The name Friedensreich has a double meaning as “Peace-realm” or “Peace-rich” (in the sense of “peaceful”). Therefore, his name Friedensreich Hundertwasser translates directly into English as “Peace-Realm Hundred-Water”.
As an architect, Hundertwasser stood out as an opponent of any kind of standardization. His best known work is the Hundertwasserhaus in Vienna, Austria, which is admired for its imaginative vitality and uniqueness.
Hundertwasser’s artistic vision expressed itself in paintings, environmentalism, postage stamps, flags, and even clothing design. He was a fan of bright colors and organic forms, even to the point to rejecting any kind of straight lines in his designs.
This portrait tutorial borrows Hundertwasser’s style of drawing faces, especially the distinctive eyes and mouth that can be seen in many of his paintings. It’s a fun look for children to try on, as it is bold and colorful, yet still very simple and easy to draw.
Use the Button below to Download a PDF Tutorial
Hundertwasser Coloring Page
Materials for Hundertwasser Art Project
- Drawing Paper. This is the good stuff you can buy in bulk for a good price.
- Pencils. I like how this brand always makes nice dark lines.
- Black Marker. A permanent marker will give you a dark black color.
- Crayons. The larger packs are nice for more color choices.
- Note: All of the above are Amazon affiliate links.
Directions for Hundertwasser Art Project
How to Draw a Hundertwasser Self Portrait
- Use a straight edge to draw a border.
- Draw a circle head and shoulders. Make the edges touch the border.
- Add two eye shapes as shown, and two ears.
- Draw circles for the eyes and pupils.
- Add a simple mouth shape.
- Add your own hair.
- Draw a pattern on the shirt.
- More ideas for drawing hair.
- Trace with a marker and color.