Make an abstract self portrait drawing in the style of Friedensreich Hundertwasser, an Austrian artist who devoted his life to the mix of nature and art.
Friedrich Stowasser (1928 – 2000), better known by his pseudonym Friedensreich Regentag Dunkelbunt Hundertwasser, was an Austrian artist and architect who also worked in the field of environmental protection.
His adopted surname is based on the translation of “sto” (the Slavic word for “one hundred”) into German. The name Friedensreich has a double meaning as “Peace-realm” or “Peace-rich” (in the sense of “peaceful”). Therefore, his name Friedensreich Hundertwasser translates directly into English as “Peace-Realm Hundred-Water”.
As an architect, Hundertwasser stood out as an opponent of any kind of standardization. His best known work is the Hundertwasserhaus in Vienna, Austria, which is admired for its imaginative vitality and uniqueness.
Hundertwasser’s artistic vision expressed itself in paintings, environmentalism, postage stamps, flags, and even clothing design. He was a fan of bright colors and organic forms, even to the point to rejecting any kind of straight lines in his designs.
This portrait tutorial borrows Hundertwasser’s style of drawing faces, especially the distinctive eyes and mouth that can be seen in many of his paintings like THIS ONE. It’s a fun look for children to try on, as it is bold and colorful, yet still very simple and easy to draw.
Friedrich Hundertwasser has a life story that is pretty amazing, and I encourage both students and teachers to learn much more about him.
Use the Button below to Download a PDF Tutorial
Hundertwasser Coloring Page
Materials for How to Draw Hundertwasser Portrait Tutorial
- Pencil. The Ticonderoga brand are the most reliable, make nice dark lines when you need them, and are the easiest to erase. Buying the pre-sharpened ones will save busy teachers a lot of time.
- Eraser. Large ones you can hold in your hand do a much better job than just the pencil tip erasers, especially when erasing leftover pencil lines after tracing.
- Black Sharpie Marker. These fine point permanent marker pens make nice black outlines, have a good tip for coloring, and never bleed when they get wet. Use them with good ventilation and add extra paper underneath to protect your tables.
- Prang Crayons. These are a bit softer than other crayons so they sometimes look like oil pastels. They also have a some nice brown shades that Crayola does not have unless you buy their larger boxes.
- Crayola Crayons. The reliable brand that always works well. The 24 pack has some of my favorite golden orange and yellow colors that seem a bit richer and warmer than the ones Prang has.
Directions for How to Draw Hundertwasser Portrait Tutorial
How to Draw a Hundertwasser Self Portrait
- Draw a border.
- Draw a circle head and shoulders.
- Add two ears and eye shapes.
- Draw circles for eyes and pupils.
- Add a mouth with simple lines.
- Draw your own bang lines.
- Add more of your hair, if needed.
- Trace with a marker or crayon.
- Fill with watercolor paint.