The best way to learn how to draw a hedgehog is to simplify his prickly quills and draw his body in the most symmetrical way possible.
Hedgehogs are small mammals with cone-shaped faces, short legs and bodies that are covered with porcupine-like quills. When in danger, they can roll into a ball so that the quills cover the entire area of their exposed body and protects themselves from predators.
As adorable as these creatures are though, drawing one with all their details is easier said than done. No one wants to draw all their quills, yet turning them into just one wiggly line wouldn’t do them justice either. This plan for simplifying them into long ends that lie in the same direction seems to be a good compromise that children of all ages can see and replicate.
- Draw a Hedgehog PDF Tutorial (click to open)
- Drawing paper
- Black marker
Time needed: 1 hour.
How to Draw a Hedgehog
- Draw oval nose, and two eyes.
- Add cheeks. Draw the inside body shape.
- Draw two arms an an oval belly.
- Add a heart inside, if you want.
- Erase inside line. Draw two ears and feet.
- Draw an egg-shaped outer body.
- Draw radial quills on one side.
- Draw matching quills on other side.
- Trace with a marker and color with crayon.