Below you’ll find an easy step-by-step tutorial for how to draw a Hedgehog and a Hedgehog Coloring Page. If you draw him holding a heart, you have an adorable Valentine card.
As adorable as these creatures are, learning how to draw a hedgehog with all it spiky details, is easier said than done. No one wants to draw all their quills, yet turning them into just one wiggly line wouldn’t do them justice either. This tutorial suggests simplifying them into pointy shapes that lie in the same direction and seems to be a good compromise. Add a heart under this hedgehog’s arms and you have the making of really cute Valentine’s Day card!
Getting Started with Drawing Guides
The best way to get students off to a good start to any drawing lesson is to show them how to use guides as a reference point.
You may have noticed that all of the tutorials on this site have a dashed line running through the center of each step, in both horizontal and vertical directions. If students make their own centered lines on their own paper, before drawing, they will have an easy reference to follow.
Drawing skills are all about getting the size and placement of lines on paper, so having some visual reference point to get started, will always help anyone learn how to be a little more accurate.
So does that mean students need to get out a ruler to draw a big fat line down the center of their paper before they start? Goodness no, please don’t! That will most likely be hard to erase and distract from any finished art. No, simply fold the sheet of paper in half both ways, make a crease, and unfold. The beauty is that by the time the drawing is done and colored in, the creases will disappear.
Preview of a Hedgehog Valentine Card
Pin me to your Pinterest Board
Use the Button below to Download a PDF Tutorial
Hedgehog Coloring Page
Materials for How to Draw a Hedgehog
- Prang Crayons (affiliate link)
- Crayola Crayons (affiliate link)
Directions for How to Draw a Hedgehog Step by Step
Time needed: 1 hour.
How to Draw a Hedgehog
- Draw the left inside body shape.
- Add a matching right side.
- Draw the left outside body shape.
- Add the right side.
- Draw the eyes, nose and cheeks.
- Draw a heart centered on the body.
- Draw the arms and belly around the heart. Erase inside lines.
- Carefully draw the spikes on the left side.
- Add symmetrical spikes on the right.
- Draw two feet. Start message with “Valentine” on the right.
- Finish with “Be My” on the left. This is a good way to make sure your words are centered.
- Trace with a marker and paint or color.