Below you’ll find an easy step-by-step tutorial for how to draw a Maple Leaf and a Maple Leaf Coloring Page. Learn the formula and they can draw one any size they want!
Maple Leaf Drawing
The fun part about learning how to draw a maple leaf, is getting creative afterwards with some fall colors. Any combination of warm colors will be beautiful, especially if students press really hard with their crayons. You don’t get that saturation without putting in a bit of effort.
While there are a million variations of maple leaves in the world, most of them do tend to follow a certain kind of pattern. Once students learn the pattern, they can learn how to draw a maple leaf any size they want. The leaves have three large fingers, so to speak, with a few more curves sprinkled around them. This tutorial shows how to draw those shapes in a logical progression, and then the how to fill the veins inside with their own kind of pattern.
Why Do Maple Leaves Change Color?
Leaves get their green color from a chemical called chlorophyll, which helps trees take in sunlight. In the fall, because of changes in the length of daylight and changes in temperature, the leaves stop their food-making process. The chlorophyll breaks down, the green color disappears, and the yellow to orange colors become visible and give the leaves part of their fall splendor.
Use the Button below to download a PDF Tutorial
Maple Leaf Coloring Page
Materials to Draw a Leaf
- Drawing Paper. This is the good stuff you can buy in bulk for a good price.
- Pencils. I like how this brand always makes nice dark lines.
- Black Marker. A permanent marker will give you a dark black color.
- Crayons. The larger packs are nice for more color choices.
- Note: All of the above are Amazon affiliate links.
Directions for a Maple Leaf Drawing
Time needed: 30 minutes.
Draw a Maple Leaf
- Draw a center stem.
- Add a cap on top.
- Draw two symmetrical U shapes.
- Add two more symmetrical caps.
- Draw two symmetrical curves.
- Add four large veins.
- Draw six medium vein lines.
- Add lots of small vein lines.
- Trace with marker and color.