Below you’ll find an easy step-by-step tutorial for how to draw a Bald Eagle and a Bald Eagle Coloring Page. With just a few distinct lines, you know exactly who he is.
Bald Eagle Drawing
For a classroom-tested drawing project that relates to studies about American symbols, you can’t get much better than learning how to draw a Bald Eagle. I used this tutorial many times while teaching in the classroom, both as a coloring and a painting project. The simple steps worked for students even as young as kindergarten.
This tutorial uses lots of basic shapes, and just a few that overlap each other. The head is in front of the shoulders, and the feet in front of the branch. Young artists need practice with these concepts before they go on to other ones.
Older students could go on to add a little more shadow, like ones that are hinted at in the sample drawing. Simply pressing harder on one side with the brown crayon, or adding a touch of gray to the head, will make the bird instantly look more round. Shadows are great that way, and testing them out on simple shapes is a smart way to start.
Two options for painting your Eagles
Use the Button below to download a PDF Tutorial
Bald Eagle Coloring Page
Materials to Draw a Bald Eagle
- Black Sharpie Marker (affiliate link)
- Prang Crayons (affiliate link)
- Crayola Crayons (affiliate link)
How to Draw an Eagle Step by Step
Time needed: 45 minutes.
How to Draw an easy Eagle in 9 steps
- Draw two lines for a branch.
- Start the body with a large upside down U shape.
- Draw the top of the head, making the lines down into the body a bit.
- Draw a zig zag line for the bottom of the feathers.
- Add the beak to the side of the head.
- Finish the beak and eye and draw the wing lines.
- Finish the beak with a line and add two claws.
- Erase inside of the feet and add a tail.
- Trace the drawing with marker and color.