Learn how to draw a Bald Eagle with this easy step by step tutorial. With just a few distinctive lines, you know exactly who he is.
For a classroom-tested drawing project that relates to studies about American symbols, you can’t get much better than this bald eagle tutorial. I used it many times while teaching in the classroom, and the simple steps worked for students even as young as kindergarten.
This tutorial uses lots of basic shapes, and just a few that overlap each other. The head is in front of the shoulders, and the feet in front of the branch. Young artists need practice with these concepts before they go on to other ones.
Older students could go on to add a little more shadow, like ones that are hinted at in the sample drawing. Simply pressing harder on one side with the brown crayon, or adding a touch of gray to the head, will make the bird instantly look more round. Shadows are great that way, and testing them out on simple shapes is a smart way to start.
Use Link below to Download a PDF Tutorial
Bald Eagle Coloring Page
Materials for How to Draw a Bald Eagle
- Pencil. The Ticonderoga brand are the most reliable, make nice dark lines when you need them, and are the easiest to erase. Buying the pre-sharpened ones will save busy teachers a lot of time.
- Eraser. Large ones you can hold in your hand do a much better job than just the pencil tip erasers, especially when erasing leftover pencil lines after tracing.
- Black Sharpie Marker. These fine point permanent marker pens make nice black outlines, have a good tip for coloring, and never bleed when they get wet. Use them with good ventilation and add extra paper underneath to protect your tables.
- Prang Crayons. These are a bit softer than other crayons so they sometimes look like oil pastels. They also have a some nice brown shades that Crayola does not have unless you buy their larger boxes.
- Crayola Crayons. The reliable brand that always works well. The 24 pack has some of my favorite golden orange and yellow colors that seem a bit richer and warmer than the ones Prang has.
Step by Step Directions for How to Draw a Bald Eagle
Time needed: 30 minutes.
How to Draw a Bald Eagle
- Draw a branch
- Start the body.
- Draw the top of the head.
- Draw the bottom feathers.
- Add the beak.
- Finish the face, add wing lines.
- Finish the beak. Draw two claws.
- Erase inside of feet. Add a tail.
- Trace with marker and color.