Learn how to draw bubble letters with an extra bubbly look. A PDF tutorial shares how to draw each and every letter.
Bubble letters are basically a lettering style where the letters look puffy like bubbles – hence the name. They are a great beginner lettering project for students that just want to draw some words that stand out, in a fun and easy way. The casual rounded shapes are all very forgiving so it’s easy to let go of any ideas that things have to line up just so.
Most students first learn how to draw bubble letters by tracing around stick letters, but this tutorial takes a different approach. Tracing tends to create lots of straight lines with curved ends, which doesn’t give letters that kind of expanded balloon look. A better way, I say, is skip the stick letters and just jump in and start drawing the extra fat letters. It only takes a couple of steps and of course there’s nothing to erase afterwards. Make them pop even more by adding a drop shadow and little highlight spot.
COLOR TIP: Add an extra layer of color to the drop shadow to give it a darker value (one of the Elements of Art). It will give the letters just a little more definition and are a nice contrast to the white shiny spot.
Preview of the Draw Bubble Letters Tutorial
Note: This post contains affiliate links. If you click and take action, I will be compensated a small amount at no expense to you.
- Drawing Paper. Don’t substitute it with copy paper or construction paper. The surface will get fuzzy, erasing might cause holes, and the colors will generally not look as bright.
- Pencil. The Ticonderoga brand are the most reliable, make nice dark lines when you need them, and are the easiest to erase.
- Eraser. Large ones you can hold in your hand do a much better job than just the pencil tips.Stabilo Markers. They have the best colors, the best tips, and last the longest.
- Black Sharpie Marker. These fine point permanent markers make nice black lines, have a good tip for coloring, and never bleed when they get wet. Use them in areas with good ventilation and add extra paper underneath for table protection.
- Stabilo Markers. The large pack provides lots of fun color choices, several shades of each color, including a few choices for skin. The tips are perfect for coloring, and there’s even a promise that they will work after being uncapped for 8 weeks!
Time needed: 45 minutes.
Sample of how draw a Bubble Letter A
- Draw the large outside curve of the letter A.
- Add the inside, circle and highlight button.
- Draw the drop shadow.
- Trace with a marker and color.