Learn how to draw a Halloween Pumpkin with this easy step by step tutorial. Draw the eyes angled down for an extra scary look.
A fun Halloween pumpkin drawing needn’t be complicated, but can certainly be more than a flat looking circle too.
All it takes for a pumpkin a little dimension is to place the stem inside a bit, and about 3 or more curved lines radiating out from it. Suddenly your pumpkin looks more like a ball than a circle.
Preview of the step by step Halloween Pumpkin tutorial
Note: This post contains affiliate links. If you click and take action, I will be compensated a small amount, but at no expense to you.
- Drawing Paper. Don’t substitute it with copy paper or construction paper. The surface will get fuzzy, erasing might cause holes, and the colors will generally not look as bright.
- Pencil. The Ticonderoga brand are the most reliable, make nice dark lines when you need them, and are the easiest to erase. Buying the pre-sharpened ones will save busy teachers a lot of time.
- Eraser. Large ones you can hold in your hand do a much better job than just the pencil tip erasers, especially when erasing leftover pencil lines after tracing.
- Black Sharpie Marker. These fine point permanent markers make nice black lines, have a good tip for coloring, and never bleed when they get wet. Use them in areas with good ventilation and add extra paper underneath for table protection.
- Prang Crayons. These are a bit softer than other crayons so they sometimes look like oil pastels. They also have a some nice brown shades that Crayola does not have in the smaller boxes.
- Crayola Crayons. The reliable brand that always works well. The 24 pack has some of my favorite golden orange and yellow colors, and seem a bit richer than ones Prang has.
Time needed: 30 minutes.
How to Draw a Halloween Pumpkin
- Draw a large apple like shape.
- Add a stem near the top.
- Erase line and add curves.
- Add another curve line.
- Draw the left eye.
- Draw the right eye.
- Add a mouth with teeth.
- Draw grass and background sky.
- Trace with marker and color.