Learn how to draw a Folk Art cat with this easy step by step tutorial. Folk art is a term for things made by untrained artists.
Folk artists often use simple techniques, bright colors, and childlike images so they can make art as a means of self-expression rather than something that is “real”. It’s all about drawing just for the fun of it, which is a great message to share with students, as often as you can.
This cat is fun to draw because he takes no special skill and the shapes are all super basic. Save him for a lesson about folk art, or Halloween, or both. It’s always nice when a project can do double duty.
- Draw a Folk Art Cat (click to download a PDF)
- Drawing paper
- Black marker
Time needed: 45 minutes.
Draw a Folk Art Cat
- Draw a circle for the head.
- Add an oval body.
- Draw a simple folk art face.
- Add whiskers and ears.
- Draw four simple legs.
- Add claws, tails and spots.
- Draw a fun border around the outside.
- Fill in any extra space with stars.
- Trace with marker and color