Learn how to draw the Cat in the Hat from the famous Dr. Seuss book, with these easy step by step directions.
The Cat in the Hat is a children’s book written and illustrated in 1957 by Theodor Geisel under the pen name Dr. Seuss. Mr. Geisel apparently was not a big fan of the trendy Dick and Jane books of the day, and decided to create an alternative. The Cat in the Hat was met with immediate critical and commercial success, and reviewers praised it as an exciting alternative to traditional primers.
This tutorial is meant to keep this very famous Cat in the Hat looking as familiar as possible, without being too frustrating for young artists to draw. His face is very different from the usual cats students may be use to drawing, but if they follow the nine easy steps shown in the tutorial, they’ll be on their way.
- How to Draw Cat in the Hat PDF (see above)
- Drawing paper
- Black marker
- Crayons (Prang recommended for the blue/green color)
Time needed: 1 hour.
How to Draw the Cat in the Hat
- Make guidelines. Draw a center oval.
- Add the mouth to one side.
- Add eyes, nose and hat rim.
- Draw the top hat and stripes.
- Add ear, brows, and whiskers.
- Draw the neck and shoulders.
- Add neck curves and a bow.
- Erase the extra lines shown.
- Trace with marker and color.