Below you’ll find an easy step-by-step tutorial video for how to draw the Grinch and a Grinch Coloring Page. It’s so much fun to draw that famous smile!
Grinch Tutorial Video
This How to Draw the Grinch tutorial shares how each part of his unique face needs to be drawn. Once those lines are in place, the rest is a breeze, regardless of whether students finish with crayons, markers or paint.
The Grinch is the main character of the classic children’s book How the Grinch Stole Christmas! by Dr. Seuss. He is depicted as a hairy, pot-bellied, pear-shaped, snub-nosed creature with a cat-like face and cynical personality.
Thanks to untold number of movies and spinoffs, most children will recognize his very specific face, but may need a little help drawing some of those details. The green color is a given, of course, but those eyes and that smile need to be drawn a certain way to make him look the most Grinch-like.
Getting Started with Drawing Guides
The best way to get students off to a good start to any drawing lesson is to show them how to use guides as a reference point.
You may have noticed that all of the tutorials on this site have a dashed line running through the center of each step, in both horizontal and vertical directions. If students make their own centered lines on their own paper, before drawing, they will have an easy reference to follow.
Drawing skills are all about getting the size and placement of lines on paper, so having some visual reference point to get started, will always help anyone learn how to be a little more accurate.
So does that mean students need to get out a ruler to draw a big fat line down the center of their paper before they start? Goodness no, please don’t! That will most likely be hard to erase and distract from any finished art. No, simply fold the sheet of paper in half both ways, make a crease, and unfold. The beauty is that by the time the drawing is done and colored in, the creases will disappear.
And now, on to the Grinch drawing project.
Join “The Daily Draw” below to get this free download!
Pin me to your Pinterest board!
The Grinch Coloring Page
Materials for a Grinch Drawing
- Drawing Paper. This is the good stuff you can buy in bulk for a good price.
- Pencils. I like how this brand always makes nice dark lines.
- Black Marker. A permanent marker will give you a dark black color.
- Crayons. The larger packs are nice for more color choices.
- Note: All of the above are Amazon affiliate links.
Directions to Draw the Grinch Step by Step
Time needed: 30 minutes
How to Draw the Grinch in 9 Easy Steps
- Draw the outline of the face as shown.
- Add the fluffy brim of his hat.
- Draw the floppy hat and fuzzy ball.
- Start the neck and collar.
- Finish the collar. Add the shoulders.
- Draw the nose and start the tops of the eyes.
- Finish the eyes.
- Draw the mouth and add fur to his cheeks.
- Trace with marker and color.