Learn how to draw the Grinch and his very mischievous smile with this easy step-by-step tutorial.
The Grinch is the main character of the classic children’s book How the Grinch Stole Christmas! by Dr. Seuss. He is depicted as a hairy, pot-bellied, pear-shaped, snub-nosed creature with a cat-like face and cynical personality.
Thanks to untold number of movies and spinoffs, most children will recognize his very specific face, but may need a little help drawing some of those details. The green color is a given, of course, but those eyes and that smile need to be drawn a certain way to make him look the most Grinch-like.
This step by step tutorial shares how each part of his unique face needs to be drawn. Once those lines are in place, the rest is a breeze, regardless of whether students finish with crayons, markers or paint.
- How to Draw the Grinch PDF tutorial (see above)
- Drawing paper
- Black marker
Time needed: 30 minutes.
How to Draw the Grinch
- Draw the outline of the face as shown.
- Add the fluffy brim of his hat.
- Draw the floppy hat and fuzzy ball.
- Start the neck and collar.
- Finish the collar. Add the shoulders.
- Draw the nose and start the tops of the eyes.
- Finish the eyes.
- Draw the mouth and add fur to his cheeks.
- Trace with marker and color.