Are you ready to learn how to draw a snowman that looks a bit more real? Here are a few tips that will make all the difference in the world.
A basic flat snowmen is fine when you are just learning how to draw circles, but after that, why not try to make him look like he has some dimension? It just might be easier than you think.
This snowman uses two of the Elements of Art to add some realism to his body. First, the LINES of the scarf and hat show that they are wrapped around a round head, and not flat circle. Second, the edge of the body and hat have a VALUE change in that they are a bit darker and look like shadows. Together they add up to a snowman that looks like he could dance off the page.
- How to Draw a Snowman Tutorial (click to open PDF)
- Drawing paper
- Black marker for tracing
- Markers, I like the Stabilo® Power Wallet brand
Time needed: 1 hour.
How to Draw a Snowman
- Draw a circle for the head.
- Add a larger circle underneath.
- Draw even larger circle underneath.
- Start hat with sideways “S”.
- Draw top hat above the head.
- Start scarf around neck.
- Draw the scarf ends. Add a face.
- Add arms and buttons. Erase gray lines.
- Trace, color and add shadows.