Below you’ll find an easy step-by-step Tutorial Video for how to draw a Snowman and a Snowman Coloring Page. Here are a few tips to make yours look more real.
A basic flat snowmen is fine when you are just learning how to draw circles, but after that, why not try to make him look like he has some dimension? Learning how to draw a snowman that looks really round, just might be easier than you think. All it takes is just a little bit of gray color in a few strategic spots, as shown in the sample above.
This snowman uses two of the Elements of Art to add some realism to his body. First, the LINES of the scarf and hat show that they are wrapped around a round head, and not flat circle. Second, the edge of the body and hat have a VALUE change in that they are a bit darker and look like shadows. Together they add up to a snowman that looks like he could dance off the page.
How to Draw a Snowman Tutorial Video
Use the Button below to download a PDF Tutorial
Pin me to your Pinterest Board
NEW! Snowman Slide Show!Snowman-Slide-Show
Snowman Coloring Page
Materials for Snowman Drawing
Note: This post contains affiliate links. If you click and take action, I will be compensated a small amount at no expense to you.
- Drawing Paper. Don’t substitute it with copy paper or construction paper. The surface will get fuzzy, erasing might cause holes, and the colors will generally not look as bright.
- Pencil. The Ticonderoga brand are the most reliable, make nice dark lines when you need them, and are the easiest to erase.
- Eraser. Large ones you can hold in your hand do a much better job than just the pencil tips. Stabilo Markers. They have the best colors, the best tips, and last the longest.
- Black Sharpie Marker. These fine point permanent markers make nice black lines, have a good tip for coloring, and never bleed when they get wet. Use them in areas with good ventilation and add extra paper underneath for table protection.
- Stabilo Markers. The large pack provides lots of fun color choices, several shades of each color, including a few choices for skin. The tips are perfect for coloring, and there’s even a promise that they will work after being uncapped for 8 weeks!
Step by Step Directions to Draw a Snowman
Time needed: 1 hour.
Snowman Step by Step Directions
- Draw a circle for the head.
- Add a larger circle underneath the head.
- Draw even larger circle underneath the second one.
- Start the hat with sideways “S”.
- Draw the top hat above the head.
- Start the scarf around neck.
- Draw the scarf ends and add the face.
- Add arms and buttons. Erase the gray lines.
- Trace the drawing, color and add some shadows.