Inside you’ll find an easy step-by-step How to Draw a Snowflake Tutorial and Snowflake Coloring Page. Stop by and download yours for free. It’s a great way to mix a little bit of math with art.
If you’d like to teach your students how to draw snowflakes that are a bit more realistic than just crossing a few Xs, but they are not quite ready for a discussion about geometry either, then try this method for drawing a simple snowflake. They make an excellent example of radial symmetry, which is a topic that younger elementary students can understand.
It’s also easy to tweak this snowflake drawing for a bit of variety. For example, the diamonds on the tips could be circles instead. And the Vs on the inside could be inverted or changed to lines. Just be sure to emphasize that all snowflakes have six sides to them, and that whatever they draw on one of the points, has to be repeated for the other five. That’s what makes radial symmetry work.
Save me to your Pinterest Board!
Snowflake Coloring Page
Materials for Snowflake Drawing
- Eraser. Large ones you can hold in your hand do a much better job than just the pencil tip erasers, especially when erasing leftover pencil lines after tracing.
- Black Sharpie Marker. These fine point permanent marker pens make nice black outlines, have a good tip for coloring, and never bleed when they get wet. Use them with good ventilation and add extra paper underneath to protect your tables.
- Prang Crayons. These are a bit softer than other crayons so they sometimes look like oil pastels. They also have a some nice brown shades that Crayola does not have unless you buy their larger boxes.
- Crayola Crayons. The reliable brand that always works well. The 24 pack has some of my favorite golden orange and yellow colors that seem a bit richer and warmer than the ones Prang has.
Directions to Draw Snowflake Step by Step
Time needed: 35 minutes.
How to Draw a Snowflake
- Draw a vertical line.
- Draw na X. The length and spacing needs to be the same.
- Draw diamonds on the ends.
- Add matching V shapes inside.
- Draw outline around the outside.
- Add diamond shapes inside.
- Draw small diamonds as shown.
- Erase the inside lines.
- Trace with marker and color.