Learn how to draw Cherries with this easy step by step tutorial. There are even a few Elements of Art lessons tucked in this pretty drawing project.
If these cherries look like they are making a nice, pretty drawing, it’s because they are actually using a few of the Elements of Art to do so.
First, the LINES of the stem dip down inside the cherry, as opposed to just attaching at the edge. That alone gives them a dimensional look.
Second, the cherry SHAPES are overlapping each other, which also adds some depth.
Third, analogous COLORS (those that are next to each other on the color wheel) are used on the stem and the cherry to add some extra shadows.
You could even add the fact that the three cherries are BALANCED, by having one in the center and two on the sides. That’s actually a Principal of Design, but who needs to be technical?
Use the Button below to Download a PDF Tutorial
Materials for Cherries Drawing
- Pencil. The Ticonderoga brand are the most reliable, make nice dark lines when you need them, and are the easiest to erase. Buying the pre-sharpened ones will save busy teachers a lot of time.
- Eraser. Large ones you can hold in your hand do a much better job than just the pencil tip erasers, especially when erasing leftover pencil lines after tracing.
- Black Sharpie Marker. These fine point permanent marker pens make nice black outlines, have a good tip for coloring, and never bleed when they get wet. Use them with good ventilation and add extra paper underneath to protect your tables.
- Prang Crayons. These are a bit softer than other crayons so they sometimes look like oil pastels. They also have a some nice brown shades that Crayola does not have unless you buy their larger boxes.
- Crayola Crayons. The reliable brand that always works well. The 24 pack has some of my favorite golden orange and yellow colors that seem a bit richer and warmer than the ones Prang has.
Directions to Draw Cherries Step by Step
Time needed: 25 minutes.
How to Draw Cherries
- Draw the center cherry.
- Add another on the right side.
- Draw another on the left.
- Add a stem to the middle cherry.
- Draw the stem on the right cherry.
- Add a joining stem on the left cherry
- Finish with a large and attached leaf.
- Trace and add the dark red and green.
- Add the pink / red and light green.