Learn how to draw a triceratops in nine simple steps. My tutorial will help you figure out to create his odd shaped body and where to place his three horns.
One of the most recognizable dinosaurs, the Triceratops is famous for their large fanned head along with their three menacing horns. The name ‘Triceratops’ comes from the Greek language, with ‘tri’ meaning three and ‘keratops’ meaning horned face. Make sure you get all those horns added.
Triceratops is a type of herbivorous dinosaur that first appeared during the Late Cretaceous period, about 68 million years ago in what is now North America. These beasts could grow up to almost 10 feet tall and weigh 13 tons! They are very similar to modern day rhinoceroses.
DO YOU LIKE THIS TUTORIAL?
There are 20 more like it in my “Draw Dinos and Dragons” ebook in my PDF Shop. It’s a collection of 20 step-by-step tutorials that are simple and easy to understand for beginning artists.
After years of drawing with young children, I’ve learned that they still love to draw these creatures, they just need a simpler approach them than most drawing books offer. Just click on the title or book to learn more.
- How to Draw A Triceratops PDF
- Drawing paper
- Black marker
Time needed: 1 hour.
How to Draw a Triceratops
- Make guidelines. Draw an egg shape.
- Draw an overlapping oval.
- Erase inside line. Draw the back leg.
- Erase inside line. Add the front leg.
- Erase line. Draw remaining legs and tail.
- Erase line and add the face.
- Erase line and draw horns, eye and nose.
- Add a foreground and background.
- Trace with a marker and color with crayons.