Below you’ll find an easy step-by-step tutorial for how to draw a T-Rex and a T-Rex Coloring Page. You can add an exciting background when you are done!
Students that have a fascination with dinosaurs will most likely be interested in learning how to draw a T-Rex. After all, once those ferocious looking bodies are complete, there’s no end to the fun background that they can add. A smoking volcano is just one idea.
This T-Rex has his head is turned, for a little more active look, but it doesn’t add any complexity to the step-by-step tutorial. The body still begins with an oval for the torso, and all the extremities are attached to it. Students just draw his head looking over his back instead of looking forward.
For some extra TEXTURE (one of the Elements of Art), try having students place something bumpy under the T-Rex when they are coloring. I used a plastic woven placemat, but anything similar will do. If they start with a brown crayon to get the bumpy look, and then go over everything with green, students just might get a very unique kind of skin for their prehistoric drawing.
Use Button below to Download a PDF Tutorial
Save me to your Pinterest Board!
T-Rex Coloring Page
Materials to Draw a T-Rex
- Drawing Paper. This is the good stuff you can buy in bulk for a good price.
- Pencils. I like how this brand always makes nice dark lines.
- Black Marker. A permanent marker will give you a dark black color.
- Crayons. The larger packs are nice for more color choices.
- Note: All of the above are Amazon affiliate links.
Step by Step Directions for a T-Rex Drawing
Time needed: 45 minutes
How to Draw a T-Rex
- Start by drawing an oval shape.
- Add the outline of the head.
- Draw the outline of the tail.
- Add the details of the head.
- Start the top of the legs.
- Finish the bottom of the legs.
- Add two arms.
- Finish with volcano background.
- Trace with marker and color.