Below you’ll find an easy step-by-step tutorial for how to draw a Red Fox and a Red Fox Coloring Page. There are a few other fox options to choose from too!
Not every animal keeps their “look” after you boil them down to just a few simple shapes, but I believe this fox is one of the exceptions. The face with the long nose, the large ears, the strong legs and fluffy tail are all there, and most definitely say “I am a fox”. Not a dog or a wolf, but most definitely a fox.
The side view of his body also gives students a chance to detail the distinctive coloring on his legs. If you think you can only blend shades with oil pastels, guess again. Most black crayons do a pretty good job of mixing with other colors, you just have to go back and forth and overlap a lot. The goal is to have a nice soft edge between the dark feet, and whatever reddish color students have chosen for the body.
Use the Button below to Download a PDF Tutorial
Red Fox Coloring Page
Materials for a Red Fox Drawing
- Drawing Paper. This is the good stuff you can buy in bulk for a good price.
- Pencils. I like how this brand always makes nice dark lines.
- Black Marker. A permanent marker will give you a dark black color.
- Crayons. The larger packs are nice for more color choices.
- Note: All of the above are Amazon affiliate links.
Directions to Draw a Red Fox Step by Step
Time needed: 30 minutes.
How to Draw a Red Fox
- Draw a circle for the head.
- Add the eyes and a nose line.
- Draw two large ears.
- Add a round body shape.
- Draw a back leg.
- Add a front leg as shown.
- Erase the inside lines, and add a tail.
- Draw a background.
- Trace with marker and color.