Learning how to draw a Cartoon Fox just got a whole lot easier with this step by step tutorial. Focus on the face, you have lots of room for a giant fluffy tail and pretty fall background.
Cartoon Fox Tutorial
A cartoon drawing is really a simple form of line art that exaggerates the features of something or someone. Long things become longer, short things become shorter, and so on. Those that learn how to do cartooning really well go can on to make a successful living at it. And those that are just starting out, are smart to copy some of their favorites cartoons, just to get the feel for it.
For this cartoon fox drawing, the graceful face is made extra wide, and the slender neck extra narrow. A cropped in view (that leaves the legs off the page) means there’s plenty of room to draw a a tail that practically fills in the entire background. And who can resist adding giant fluffy tail to something, or anything for that matter?
Many an artist has gotten their start over the years with cartoon drawing. The simplicity of it makes it accessible to all, and easy to imitate. And when a drawing feels like it was easy to do, and brings a smile to your face when you’re done? That’s a pretty powerful combination..
Getting Started with Drawing Guides
The best way to get students off to a good start to any drawing lesson is to show them how to use guides as a reference point.
You may have noticed that all of the tutorials on this site have a dashed line running through the center of each step, both in the horizontal and vertical direction. If students make their own centered lines on their own paper, before drawing, they will have an easy reference to follow.
For instance, as seen in Step 1 below, the circle nose needs to be sitting on the vertical line, near the bottom of the paper. It’s important to sketch that shape low and in the center so that there’s room for the cheeks and head above it. When beginners get their drawing off to a good start, there’s a better chance of them feeling successful by the time they are done.
So does that mean students need to get out a ruler to draw a big fat line down the center of their paper before they start? Goodness no, please don’t! That will most likely be hard to erase and distract from any finished art. No, simply fold the sheet of paper in half both ways, make a crease, and unfold. The beauty is that by the time the drawing is done and colored in, the creases will disappear.
And now, on to the Cartoon Fox drawing project.
Use Button below to Download a PDF Tutorial
Cartoon Fox Coloring Page
Materials for a Cartoon Fox Drawing
- Drawing Paper. This is the good stuff you can buy in bulk for a good price.
- Pencils. Don’t waste your money on the cheapest brand. These make nice dark lines.
- Black Marker. A permanent marker will give you a nice dark black color.
- Crayons. I like this non-toxic brand that is made from beeswax, not petroleum by-products.
- Note: All of the above are Amazon affiliate links.
Directions for How to Draw a Cartoon Fox Step by Step
Time needed: 45 minutes.
How to Draw a Cartoon Fox
- Draw a circle and two matching curve lines.
- Connect the two ends with a large upside down curve.
- Add two more matching curves inside the head to make the face.
- Add the simple fox eyes and a skinny neck.
- Draw zig zag lines on the cheeks, and lines for the chest and two ears.
- Add a large fluffy tail behind the head.
- Draw some trees int the background, larger ones in the front and smaller in the back.
- Add a horizon line that “jumps” around the trunks of the trees.
- Trace the drawing with a marker and color with crayons or pastels.