Below you’ll find an easy step-by-step tutorial for how to draw a Goldfish and a Goldfish Coloring Page. If you try your hand at layering yellow and orange colors, some pretty blending just might happen!
Most children learn to draw very simplified fish, when they are starting out, which is actually helpful when they are just figuring out how to get the shapes they want down on paper.
But after they notice that those simplified shapes don’t account for all the many kinds of fish they know of, they might be ready to draw the very familiar goldfish with some more details. This one has the fancy flowy tail, which is not that hard to draw, and might add some extra fun.
Use Button below to Download a PDF Tutorial
Goldfish Tracing Page
Materials to draw a Goldfish
- Drawing Paper. This is the good stuff you can buy in bulk for a good price.
- Pencils. Don’t waste your money on the cheapest brand. These make nice dark lines.
- Black Marker. The perfect medium size tip marker for tracing.
- Crayons. I like this non-toxic brand that is made from beeswax, not petroleum by-products.
- Note: All of the above are Amazon affiliate links.
Step by Step Directions for a Goldfish Drawing
Time needed: 1 hour.
How to Draw a Goldfish
- Draw the main fish body.
- Add a flowing tail.
- Draw the face with an eye and mouth.
- Add a pectoral fin.
- Erase the gray line and add dorsal fin.
- Add line details inside the fins.
- Add line details inside the tail.
- Draw some scale texture. Add bubbles in the water.
- Trace with a marker and color.