Learn how to draw a boy with some very simple shapes. This one is perfect for those just learning how to draw bodies.
Children learning how to draw, particularly when it comes to bodies, usually start with some basic shapes, like ovals for heads, and rectangles for arms and legs. That’s a good place to start, but after those are mastered, it’s easy to make just a couple of adjustments for a more natural look.
One example is starting with a U shape for the bottom of the head, and then adding a cap of hair on top. It totally eliminates that bald look that so many beginner drawings have.
This project also poses the young boy with his hands in his pockets so he looks more relaxed, and no struggles with fingers are necessary.
It goes without saying that this tutorial would also work just fine for drawing a girl, and the hair could be made longer or shorter as needed. For other clothing and hair options, you can see How to Draw a Girl in a Dress HERE.
Use the Button below to Download a PDF Tutorial
Boy Coloring Page
Materials for How to Draw a Boy in Shorts
- Pencil. The Ticonderoga brand are the most reliable, make nice dark lines when you need them, and are the easiest to erase. Buying the pre-sharpened ones will save busy teachers a lot of time.
- Eraser. Large ones you can hold in your hand do a much better job than just the pencil tip erasers, especially when erasing leftover pencil lines after tracing.
- Black Sharpie Marker. These fine point permanent marker pens make nice black outlines, have a good tip for coloring, and never bleed when they get wet. Use them with good ventilation and add extra paper underneath to protect your tables.
- Prang Crayons. These are a bit softer than other crayons so they sometimes look like oil pastels. They also have a some nice brown shades that Crayola does not have unless you buy their larger boxes.
- Crayola Crayons. The reliable brand that always works well. The 24 pack has some of my favorite golden orange and yellow colors that seem a bit richer and warmer than the ones Prang has.
Directions for How to Draw a Boy in Shorts
Time needed: 25 minutes.
How to Draw a Boy
- Start by drawing a large U shape.
- Add a cap of hair on top.
- Draw the face and hair details.
- Continue with neck and shirt.
- Add shorts below.
- Draw legs and feet under the shorts.
- Add simple arms.
- Draw a horizon line.
- Trace with marker and color.