Learn how to draw an Apple, both inside and out, with this fun and easy step by step tutorial.
Whether your students are drawing the alphabet, or studying tree cycles, or looking for fall art, learning how to draw an apple can be the first step in making that happen.
Without any inspiration, many students might opt for just drawing a red circle and adding a stem, but that doesn’t always say apple in the way that a few more details can.
If your students learn how to add a stem and leaf that look like it’s coming out of the center, and maybe also show the inside of the apple, all of a sudden you have a very descriptive apple drawing.
Are your students in the upper elementary grades? Then try challenging them to think how a shadow might be added. They need to decide where the source of light is coming from, and then draw heavier and darker on the opposite side.
Use Button below to Download a PDF Tutorial
Apple Coloring Page
Materials for How to Draw an Apple
- Pencil. The Ticonderoga brand are the most reliable, make nice dark lines when you need them, and are the easiest to erase. Buying the pre-sharpened ones will save busy teachers a lot of time.
- Eraser. Large ones you can hold in your hand do a much better job than just the pencil tip erasers, especially when erasing leftover pencil lines after tracing.
- Black Sharpie Marker. These fine point permanent marker pens make nice black outlines, have a good tip for coloring, and never bleed when they get wet. Use them with good ventilation and add extra paper underneath to protect your tables.
- Prang Crayons. These are a bit softer than other crayons so they sometimes look like oil pastels. They also have a some nice brown shades that Crayola does not have unless you buy their larger boxes.
- Crayola Crayons. The reliable brand that always works well. The 24 pack has some of my favorite golden orange and yellow colors that seem a bit richer and warmer than the ones Prang has.
Step by Step Directions for How to Draw an Apple
Time needed: 30 minutes.
How to Draw an Apple
- Draw a circle.
- Add a curve and stem.
- Draw an attached leaf.
- Add details to the leaf.
- Draw another circle.
- Draw the peel line, stem and seeds.
- Draw a slice of apple.
- Add a ground line in the background.
- Trace with marker and color.