Learn how to draw a soccer ball, the one used in the world’s most popular sport. You’d be surprised how much detail you can add when you have the help of a step by step tutorial.
Soccer, also called football in many countries, is a game in which two teams of 11 players, using any part of their bodies except their hands and arms, try to get the ball into the opposing team’s goal. Only the goalkeeper is permitted to use theirs and hands and may do so only within a specific area near the goal. The team that scores more goals wins. With about 4 billion followers, soccer is by far the most watched sport on the entire planet!
Soccer balls are a little more complex to draw than a basketball or football, thanks to all their hexagon shapes. Some more thought is involved, but that’s not to say it can’t be done with a little help. This tutorial directs students in how to start their pattern with a center hexagon, and then gradually work out until their entire ball is filled with a pattern.
Bonus Tip: Color the black hexagon shapes first with a black crayon, and then trace the other seam lines with a light gray crayon. The result is a nice subtle shadow that gives the ball slightly padded look.
Save me to your Pinterest Board!
Use the Button below to Download a PDF Tutorial
Soccer Ball Coloring Page
Materials for a Soccer Ball Drawing
- Eraser. Large ones you can hold in your hand do a much better job than just the pencil tips.
- Black Sharpie Marker. These fine point permanent marker pens make nice black outlines, have a good tip for coloring, and never bleed when they get wet. Use them with good ventilation and add extra paper underneath to protect your tables.
- Prang Crayons. These are a bit softer than other crayons so they sometimes look like oil pastels. They also have a some nice brown shades that Crayola does not have unless you buy their larger boxes.
- Crayola Crayons. The reliable brand that always works well. The 24 pack has some of my favorite golden orange and yellow colors that seem a bit richer and warmer than the ones Prang has.
Directions to Draw a Soccer Ball Step by Step
Time needed: 35 minutes.
How to Draw a Soccer Ball
- . Draw (or trace!) a circle.
- Draw a tilted hexagon in the center.
- Add extending lines from each point.
- Finish one hexagon as shown.
- Add the next shape.
- Finish the next shape.
- Add the the last two shapes.
- Draw the final lines from each point.
- Trace with a marker and color.