Below you’ll find an easy step-by-step tutorial for how to draw a Bird and a Bird Coloring Page. A chubby little body and big eyes makes him extra fun to draw.
This step by step bird tutorial is simple but stays true to the natural form. Whether it be a Blue Jay, a Cardinal or a Finch, the body and wing shape here can be applied to all types of species.
This drawing tutorial could be a good choice of study for actual birds. It could be a fun challenge to go bird watching with friends and family then attempt to recreate what types of birds you saw!
Use the Button below to Download a PDF Tutorial
Save me to your Pinterest Board!
Bird Coloring Page
Materials to Draw a Bird
- Eraser. Large ones you can hold in your hand do a much better job than just the pencil tip erasers, especially when erasing leftover pencil lines after tracing.
- Black Sharpie Marker. These fine point permanent marker pens make nice black outlines, have a good tip for coloring, and never bleed when they get wet. Use them with good ventilation and add extra paper underneath to protect your tables.
- Prang Crayons. These are a bit softer than other crayons so they sometimes look like oil pastels. They also have a some nice brown shades that Crayola does not have unless you buy their larger boxes.
- Crayola Crayons. The reliable brand that always works well. The 24 pack has some of my favorite golden orange and yellow colors that seem a bit richer and warmer than the ones Prang has.
How to Draw a Bird Step by Step
Time needed: 45 minutes.
How to Draw a Bird
- Start the body with a round shape.
- Attach a head with a point.
- Erase line and add large eye and beak.
- Draw a wing.
- Erase line and add tail.
- Add lots of feather details.
- Draw a branch underneath.
- Add leaves on the branch, clouds in the sky.
- Trace with marker and color.