Below you’ll find an easy step-by-step tutorial for a Mother’s Day Drawing idea and a Coloring Page. This simplified way to draw a bird is super easy for all ages.
If you need a sweet drawing for a Mother’s Day card, this one works great for even the youngest of students. The bodies are made from just a few simple shapes, and the flat head and large beaks give them a little bit of a cartoon style too. Careful tracing and coloring with crayons will make the drawing extra charming.
If your students happen to have more that one child in their family, this idea is easy to adapt. Once they practice drawing one baby bird, they can easily add more to match the size of their own family. Have a larger family? Draw a longer branch.
Please note that there’s what I call a tracing page option too. Students can use a Sharpie marker to trace over the lines to get more of a hand drawn look before they begin to color. It also provides some fine motor skill practice too!
Use the Button below to Download a PDF Tutorial
Mother and Baby Coloring Page
Mother and Baby Bird Tracing Page
Materials for a Mother’s Day Drawing
- Black Sharpie Marker (affiliate link)
- Prang Crayons (affiliate link)
- Crayola Crayons (affiliate link)
Directions for a Mother’s Day Drawing
Time needed: 1 hour.
How to Draw Easy Birds
- Draw a branch.
- Start the small baby bird.
- Add the beak, eye, wing and tail.
- Start the large bird.
- Add the eye, beak and tail.
- Finish the large bird with wings and feet.
- Fill in top right with a branch.
- Add clouds in the space left over.
- Trace with a marker and color.