If you’re looking for Mother’s Day projects to draw, this works for all ages. No need for lots of details, just a mom and baby giraffe, sharing some love.
This approach to drawing a giraffe works well for really young artists as there is no attempt to make the bodies look dimensional. The legs just kind of attach to the body in a flat way, and everything is overly simplified, but in the end I think that’s what adds to the charm.
This tutorial started out as just a baby and mom looking at each other, but years ago a kinder filled in their space between them with hearts. It was such a sweet and brilliant idea I have made it a part of my permanent instructions ever since. (Thank you Nora!)
- Draw a Mom & Baby Giraffe PDF (click to download)
- Drawing paper
- Black marker
Time needed: 1 hour.
Draw a Mom and Baby Giraffe
- Draw the adult giraffe and head.
- Start the bottom of the body.
- Add the simple legs.
- Add a face, mane and tail.
- Draw lots of spots and hoof lines.
- Start the baby giraffe.
- Finish the baby giraffe details.
- Add hearts and a ground line.
- Trace all (except spots) with a marker and color.