Learn how to draw a sea turtle step by step with an easy tutorial. Nearly all of their species are classified as endangered right now.
Sea Turtle Drawing
Did you know that sea turtles are one of oldest creatures on the earth? They have barely changed in over 110 million years!
While each species of sea turtle looks a little different in color and size, there are things they all have in common. Here are some interesting facts about these fascinating creatures.
- An adult sea turtle can be two to six feet long, depending on the species.
- The largest sea turtle ever seen weighed over 2,000 pounds.
- The smallest adults weigh around 60 pounds.
- Unlike land turtles, sea turtles can’t tuck their head or flippers into their shell.
- Sea turtles have claws.
Climate change has an impact on turtle nesting sites; it alters sand temperatures, which then affects the sex of hatchlings. Nearly all species of sea turtle are now classified as endangered, with three of the seven existing species being critically endangered.
Now students can have some help drawing a sea turtle with a fairly realistic look, to raise awareness of these amazing animals. The pattern on the shell and the flipper-like legs are just a couple of features that set them apart from other turtles.
Use Button below to Download a PDF Tutorial
Save me to your Pinterest Board
Sea Turtle Coloring Page
How to Draw a Sea Turtle Materials
- Eraser. Large ones you can hold in your hand do a much better job than just the pencil tips.
- Black Sharpie Marker. These fine point permanent marker pens make nice black outlines, have a good tip for coloring, and never bleed when they get wet. Use them with good ventilation and add extra paper underneath to protect your tables.
- Prang Crayons. These are a bit softer than other crayons so they sometimes look like oil pastels. They also have a some nice brown shades that Crayola does not have unless you buy their larger boxes.
- Crayola Crayons. The reliable brand that always works well. The 24 pack has some of my favorite golden orange and yellow colors that seem a bit richer and warmer than the ones Prang has.
Step by Step Directions for How to Draw a Sea Turtle
Time needed: 30 minutes.
How to Draw a Sea Turtle Step by Step
- Draw an oval for the shell.
- Add a C shape for the rim
- Draw the long hexagons on top
- Add the lines extending from each
- Draw short lines around the rim.
- Add the flipper legs.
- Draw the head angled below.
- Add lots of seaweed and water line.
- Trace with marker and color.