Learn how to draw a duck with this easy step by step tutorial. Be sure to follow these colors to make him look like a real mallard.
Sometimes it’s fun to mix a bit of realism with a cartoon flourish or two. When students learn how to draw a duck, like this mallard, they can learn about all the shapes and colors of these birds, but have a little bit of fun with the eyes too.
This tutorial shows how to draw a large cute eye with a small highlight spot. It’s one of those details that cartoon artists like to add, and young artists might like to try out.
Pin me to your Pinterest Board
Use Button below to Download a PDF Tutorial
Duck Coloring Page
Materials for Duck Project
- Eraser. Large ones you can hold in your hand do a much better job than just the pencil tips.
- Black Sharpie Marker. These fine point permanent marker pens make nice black outlines, have a good tip for coloring, and never bleed when they get wet. Use them with good ventilation and add extra paper underneath to protect your tables.
- Prang Crayons. These are a bit softer than other crayons so they sometimes look like oil pastels. They also have a some nice brown shades that Crayola does not have unless you buy their larger boxes.
- Crayola Crayons. The reliable brand that always works well. The 24 pack has some of my favorite golden orange and yellow colors that seem a bit richer and warmer than the ones Prang has.
How to Draw a Duck Step by Step
Time needed: 1 hour.
Draw an Easy Duck
- Make the guidelines. Draw a line.
- Add the wing curve.
- Start the head.
- Finish the neck and tail.
- Draw a water line.
- Add the beak.
- Draw the eye.
- Add body and wing details.
- Trace with a marker and color with crayons.