Learn how to draw a Doberman Dog by following step-by-step directions. This one shows his ears in their natural floppy state.
The Dobermann (also known as a Doberman Pinscher in the United States and Canada) is a medium-large breed of domestic dog that was originally developed by a German tax collector named by Karl Friedrich Louis Dobermann. Apparently he wanted a guard to protect him as he travelled with his work.
Today’s Doberman dogs have a much friendlier reputation. The are said to be very intelligent and loyal animals. Your students can try drawing a nice portrait of one by focusing on just the shape of their head, and their distinctive coloring.
Thanks to a thoughtful reader, I recently learned that the pointed ears that Dobermans are famous for, are actually man-made. For that reason, this tutorial shares how to draw a doberman in its original state, soft floppy ears and all.
- How to Draw a Doberman Dog (click to open a PDF)
- Drawing paper
- Black marker
Time needed: 35 minutes.
How to Draw a Doberman Dog
- Draw the outline of the head.
- Add the mouth shape on top.
- Add the large nose and spots.
- Draw the outline of the eyes.
- Add the spots and lines.
- LIGHTLY add the lines for brown color.
- Add two flopper ears.
- Add the shoulders and ground line.
- Trace with marker and color.