Learn how to draw the Sydney Opera House, one of the world’s most famous and distinctive buildings. Learn how to draw all its shapes in nine simple steps.
This landmark art center located Sydney, Australia, has a complex silhouette, to say the least. But given that it is a noted symbol of its city, I thought it deserved a tutorial that made it “drawable” for most elementary students.
The shell shapes are simplified as much as possible, without losing their 3D shape, and my sample even shows where you might add a bit of a shadow. It all hopefully adds up to a very recognizable Sydney Opera House, of which there is no other.
- Draw the Sydney Opera House PDF (click here to download)
- Drawing paper
- Black marker
Time needed: 1 hour.
How to Draw the Sydney Opera House
- Draw a long rectangle for the base.
- Add the wall sections above the base.
- Draw the center roof shell shape.
- Add two more of the roof shell shapes.
- Connect with 3 curved lines.
- Add the back curved lines, and the fourth smaller roof.
- Draw the smallest section on the right.
- Add building detail, water and sky.
- Trace with a marker and color with markers.