Learn how to draw a basketball with an easy step by step tutorial. It’s a good lesson in how you can use line and shape and form to make a realistic drawing.
A basketball drawing project sounds simple, but it can also include a good lesson that teaches a few things about key Elements of Art.
Much in the way that a round pumpkin can start to look dimensional when lines are added, a basketball starts to take shape too when its trademark black lines are drawn in. A plain flat circle will get some instant dimension if students draw the lines as shown, which are easy to do with a little help from this example.
In that way, LINES are added to a circle SHAPE, to make them look like they have FORM. I personally concentrated on just my black lines and bright orange color for my sample drawing, but students that wish to add even more of a 3D look could add some shadows too.
Use the Button below to Download a PDF Tutorial
Materials for a Basketball Drawing
- Eraser. Large ones you can hold in your hand do a much better job than just the pencil tips.
- Black Sharpie Marker. These fine point permanent marker pens make nice black outlines, have a good tip for coloring, and never bleed when they get wet. Use them with good ventilation and add extra paper underneath to protect your tables.
- Prang Crayons. These are a bit softer than other crayons so they sometimes look like oil pastels. They also have a some nice brown shades that Crayola does not have unless you buy their larger boxes.
- Crayola Crayons. The reliable brand that always works well. The 24 pack has some of my favorite golden orange and yellow colors that seem a bit richer and warmer than the ones Prang has.
Directions to Draw a Basketball Step by Step
Time needed: 25 minutes.
How to Draw a Basketball
- Draw or trace a large circle
- Add a curved line as shown
- Draw another curved line to make an X.
- Add a kind of U shape on top
- Draw an upside down U below.
- Make the first line thicker.
- Add same thickness to the next.
- Add same thickness to the rest.
- Trace with a marker. Color ball with a
yellowish orange, cover with orange