Below you’ll find an easy step-by-step tutorial for how to draw a Basketball and a Basketball Coloring Page. It’s a good lesson in how you can use line and shape and form to make a realistic drawing.
A basketball drawing project sounds simple, but it can also include a good lesson that teaches a few things about key Elements of Art.
Much in the way that a round pumpkin can start to look dimensional when lines are added, a basketball starts to take shape too when its trademark black lines are drawn in. A plain flat circle will get some instant dimension if students draw the lines as shown, which are easy to do with a little help from this example.
In that way, LINES are added to a circle SHAPE, to make them look like they have FORM. I personally concentrated on just my black lines and bright orange color for my sample drawing, but students that wish to add even more of a 3D look could add some shadows too.
Use the Button below to Download a PDF Tutorial
Basketball Coloring Page
Materials for a Basketball Drawing
- Drawing Paper. This is the good stuff you can buy in bulk for a good price.
- Pencils. I like how this brand always makes nice dark lines.
- Black Marker. A permanent marker will give you a dark black color.
- Crayons. The larger packs are nice for more color choices.
- Note: All of the above are Amazon affiliate links.
Directions to Draw a Basketball Step by Step
Time needed: 25 minutes
How to Draw a Basketball
- Draw or trace a large circle
- Add a curved line as shown
- Draw another curved line to make an X.
- Add a kind of U shape on top
- Draw an upside down U below.
- Make the first line thicker.
- Add same thickness to the next.
- Add same thickness to the rest.
- Trace with a marker. Color ball with a
yellowish orange, cover with orange