Learn how to draw a basketball with an easy step by step tutorial. It’s a good lesson in how you can use line and shape and form to make a realistic drawing.
A basketball drawing project sounds simple, but it can also include a good lesson that teaches a few things about key Elements of Art.
Much in the way that a round pumpkin can start to look dimensional when lines are added, a basketball starts to take shape too when its trademark black lines are drawn in. A plain flat circle will get some instant dimension if students draw the lines as shown, which are easy to do with a little help from this example.
In that way, LINES are added to a circle SHAPE, to make them look like they have FORM. I personally concentrated on just my black lines and bright orange color for my sample drawing, but students that wish to add even more of a 3D look could add some shadows too.
- How to Draw a Basketball (click to download a PDF)
- Drawing paper
- Black marker
Time needed: 25 minutes.
How to Draw a Basketball
- Draw or trace a large circle
- Add a curved line as shown
- Draw another curved line to make an X.
- Add a kind of U shape on top
- Draw an upside down U below.
- Make the first line thicker.
- Add same thickness to the next.
- Add same thickness to the rest.
- Trace with a marker. Color ball with a
yellowish orange, cover with orange