Below you’ll find an easy step-by-step tutorial video for how to draw an Elephant for Kids and an Elephant Coloring Page. A side view makes it easy to see all of its cool details.
Elephant Tutorial Video
Now students can easily learn how to draw an elephant with a bit more realism. This makes for a good lesson because all the shapes are all pretty simple, but there are a few more details added that make a lot of difference. For instance the back leg is larger than the front, so the hip line goes further into the body. There are tusks on either side of the trunk, and overlapping lines that need to be erased. Also the two legs on the far side of the animal are just a bit shorter than the front, because they are a bit further away. All those details are easy to draw, yet add up to a pretty realistic elephant drawing.
Preview of the Step by Step Elephant Tutorial
Join my Email List below and get this instant Download!
Materials to Draw an Elephant
- Drawing Paper. You can buy this brand in bulk and it’s not that expensive.
- Pencils. Don’t waste your money on the cheapest brand. These make nice dark lines.
- Black Marker. The perfect medium size tip marker.
- Crayola Crayons. They have a few of my favorite colors, like their light blue.
- Prang Crayons. These are eco-friendly and some colors work almost as well as oil pastels.
- Note: All of the above are Amazon affiliate links.
Time Lapse Drawing of the Elephant
Elephant Coloring Page
Save me to your Pinterest Board!
Step by Step Tutorial for How to Draw an Elephant
Time needed: 45 minutes.
Draw an Elephant Step by Step for Kids
- Make guidelines. Draw an oval body.
- Add the head and trunk.
- Add a front and back leg.
- Erase lines. Add legs from other side.
- Draw two ears.
- Erase lines inside ear. Add two tusks.
- Erase inside tusks. Add trunk lines, eye and tail.
- Draw toes and a background.
- Trace with a marker and color.