Learn how to draw an elephant for kids, with my easy step by step tutorial. The shapes are simple, yet still create a pretty realistic looking animal.
There’s also a bit of a perspective lesson in that the two legs that are furthest away need to be just a bit shorter than the front ones. A small detail, but important one if you want to learn how to make animals look as realistic as possible.
Students that want to take things one step further, can add a bit of shadow to their elephant. Just decide if a source of light (the sun) is on the left or the right, and then darken those opposite sides accordingly.
- Draw an Elephant PDF (click to visit download page)
- Drawing paper
- Black marker
Time needed: 45 minutes.
Draw an Elephant
- Make guidelines. Draw an oval body.
- Add the head and trunk.
- Add a front and back leg.
- Erase lines. Add legs from other side.
- Draw two ears.
- Erase lines inside ear. Add two tusks.
- Erase inside tusks. Add trunk lines, eye and tail.
- Draw toes and a background.
- Trace with a marker and color.
How to Draw an Easy Elephant
Who says that animal drawings always have to show the entire body? Why not do a close up for a change?
In this case, by focusing on just the front half of the elephant, there is plenty of room for the elephant tusk, large floppy ears, and lots of wrinkles.
Another benefit is that the tutorial forces students to draw large, and fill up their entire paper. And what better animal to practice your large drawing skills, than with an elephant?
- Draw an Easy Elephant PDF (click to download)
- Drawing paper
- Black marker, permanent