Learn how to draw an elephant for kids, with my easy step by step tutorial. The shapes are simple, yet still create a pretty realistic looking animal.
There’s also a bit of a perspective lesson in that the two legs that are furthest away need to be just a bit shorter than the front ones. A small detail, but important one if you want to learn how to make animals look as realistic as possible.
Students that want to take things one step further, can add a bit of shadow to their elephant. Just decide if a source of light (the sun) is on the left or the right, and then darken those opposite sides accordingly.
- Draw an Elephant (click for a PDF)
- Drawing paper
- Black marker
Time needed: 45 minutes.
Draw an Elephant
- Make guidelines. Draw an oval body.
- Add the head and trunk.
- Add a front and back leg.
- Erase lines. Add legs from other side.
- Draw two ears.
- Erase lines inside ear. Add two tusks.
- Erase inside tusks. Add trunk lines, eye and tail.
- Draw toes and a background.
- Trace with a marker and color.