Below you’ll find an easy step-by-step tutorial for how to draw a Bison and a Bison Coloring Page. This project tries to simplify their rather complex bodies as much as possible.
One of the best ways to learn more about an animal, is to learn how to draw it. When students learn how to draw a bison, they are more likely to remember some of the fun facts that make them so unique.
For instance, bison are one of the largest animals found in North America. They have a large hump on their back, and have thick fur that keeps them warm during cold winter months. Plains Indians used every part of the buffalo to help them survive. Their hides were used for clothing, blankets and shelters, meat was used for food, and bones were used for tools and toys. Horns were made into cups and spoons while buffalo chips were used for fuel.
This tutorial is designed to show students how to see a bison as a drawing in two layers. The first is the cow shaped body, and the second is a layer of thick fur that is added on top. This process will make sure that the proportions are right, before adding all those fun details of the shaggy fur lines.
Save Me to Your Pinterest Board
Bison Coloring Page
Materials to draw a Bison
How to Draw a Bison Easy Step by Step
Time needed: 45 minutes.
How to Draw a Bison
- Start with a simple body shape as shown.
- Add a head on the left side.
- Draw two front legs below.
- Add two legs in the back.
- Start the shaggy fur around the head and shoulders.
- Finish the shaggy fur below. Add a small tail in the back.
- Erase the smooth gray inside lines. Add horns, an eye and a mouth.
- Add the fur hair lines and a background.
- Trace with a marker and color.