Learn how to draw a Cow that looks pretty real, not to mention cute, with this easy step-by-step tutorial.
So this is not your kindergarten cow, which tends to be more basic and use lots of straight lines for the body and legs. This tutorial has a lot more detail going on, and is for those looking to see how to draw all the cute features they may be familiar with, but are not certain of where and how to draw them.
The process is the same, namely starting with a pear-shaped head and rectangular-ish body, but then include a few more details. The placement of the eyes, and the foreshortened legs give her some dimension that a few squares and rectangles never could.
Preview of the step by step Cow tutorial
- Pencil. The Ticonderoga brand are the most reliable, make nice dark lines when you need them, and are the easiest to erase. Buying the pre-sharpened ones will save busy teachers a lot of time.
- Eraser. Large ones you can hold in your hand do a much better job than just the pencil tip erasers, especially when erasing leftover pencil lines after tracing.
- Black Sharpie Marker. These fine point permanent marker pens make nice black outlines, have a good tip for coloring, and never bleed when they get wet. Use them with good ventilation and add extra paper underneath to protect your tables.
- Prang Crayons. These are a bit softer than other crayons so they sometimes look like oil pastels. They also have a some nice brown shades that Crayola does not have unless you buy their larger boxes.
- Crayola Crayons. The reliable brand that always works well. The 24 pack has some of my favorite golden orange and yellow colors that seem a bit richer and warmer than the ones Prang has.
Time needed: 30 minutes.
How to Draw a Cow
- Draw a head shape and body as shown.
- Add the nose and the mouth.
- Draw the eyes and a large spot around it.
- Add two large ears.
- Draw horns and splash of hair. Erase Lines.
- Draw front and back leg. Erase lines.
- Add the other two legs, udder, tail. Erase lines.
- Draw spots and a background.
- Trace with marker and color.