Below you’ll find an easy step-by-step tutorial for how to draw Frida Kahlo and a Frida Coloring Page. She is considered one of Mexico’s greatest artists.
Draw Frida Tutorial Video
Now students that would like to learn how to draw Frida Kahlo can have some guidance in creating her likeness. This one includes her love of flowers, bright colors, and of course, trademark eyebrows.
Frida Kahlo (1907 – 1954) was a Mexican painter known for her many self-portrait paintings. She was inspired by her heritage, and loved to make colorful and bright work, filled with symbolic images. As a strong and determined woman, she overcame her struggles and accomplished a great deal as an artist.
Student Frida Kahlo drawings from Australia
Join “The Daily Draw” below to get this free download!
Frida Kahlo Coloring Page
Another Frida Coloring Option
For a darker look, try drawing on black paper with a pencil and coloring with oil pastels. When the drawing is complete, trace the lines again with a black pastel to make them really stand out.
Looking for a Follow up Project?
Now it’s easy to make a large scale mural that honors this amazing artist. All you need to do is print out the pages of a PDF template, have students color it according to the guide, and then tape it back together.
Your students get to experience a fun collaborative art project and you get a 43″ x 60″ work of art for your classroom.
Materials for drawing Frida Kahlo
- Drawing Paper. This is the good stuff you can buy in bulk for a good price.
- Pencils. I like how this brand always makes nice dark lines.
- Black Marker. A permanent marker will give you a dark black color.
- Crayons. The larger packs are nice for more color choices.
- Note: All of the above are Amazon affiliate links.
How to make a Frida Kahlo Drawing
Time needed: 1 hour
How to Draw Frida Kahlo
- Start the face with the hair part included.
- Add a neck below it.
- Draw a necklace and the shoulders.
- Draw the ears and start the hair above them.
- Add flowers on top of the head.
- Draw the eyes on the center line.
- Add the eyebrows and a nose.
- Finish by drawing the mouth.
- Trace the lines with a marker and color with crayons.