My favorite Frida Kahlo for kids project is a simple portrait with a few key features. Now you have the choice between the simple version below, or one with more details that follows.
Frida overcame many obstacles in her life, but she always found a way to continue making art. That’s a pretty good message for children of all ages to hear and apply to their own life.
*The above product links are referrals. If you click through and take action, I’ll be compensated a small amount, at no extra expense to you.
- Print a color copy of my Frida Kahlo tutorial for each student.
- Draw guidelines on center of paper with a ruler. Follow the steps to first make a drawing in pencil.
- Trace all the lines with a black oil pastel. Press hard to make a heavy line.
- Color in the face and background, taking care to go around the black pastel.
Draw Frida with Markers and a Grid
- Draw Frida with a Grid Tutorial
- Drawing paper*
- Markers, I used the Stabilo brand*
- Black Sharpie, fine tip*
*The above product links are a referral. If you click through and take action, I’ll be compensated a small amount, at no extra expense to you.
Time needed: 1 hour.
Draw Frida Kahlo with a grid
- Draw an oval and start the eyes.
- Finish the eyes and brows.
- Draw a nose and mouth.
- Add ears and earrings.
- Draw the hair above.
- Add shoulders.
- Finish the neck and necklace.
- Draw FRIDA block letters above.
- Trace with marker and color.