Below you’ll find an easy step-by-step tutorial for an Easy Pop Art Project and Coloring Page.
This pop art project is designed to help young artists draw in the simple style that Keith Haring developed as a pop artist of the 1980’s. He was famous for a style of bold figures with bright colors, and radiating lines coming from them. This tutorial will show students how to create their own version of one of his famous paintings. It depicts two figures sharing a hug.
Growing up, Keith Haring wasn’t interested in the kind of formal art he saw in museums, he thought it was too boring. He was more interested in cartoons, like the kind that Disney created. He spent hours drawing them with his dad, who also drew as a hobby.
Use the Button below to Download a PDF Tutorial
Pop Art Coloring Page
- Drawing Paper*. This is the good stuff you can buy in bulk for a good price.
- Pencils*. Don’t waste your money on the cheapest brand. These make nice dark lines.
- Black Marker*. The perfect medium size tip marker for tracing. *affiliate links.
- Oil Pastels*. This Portfolio brand has the softest, bright colors around. I have used them exclusively on my all murals for the past 20 years.
Step by Step Directions
Time needed: 1 hour.
Draw like a Pop Artist
- Draw a head and attached arm.
- Continue the body below.
- Draw the other head and attached arm.
- Add the body below.
- Draw the remaining arms around each other.
- Add a ground line and radiating lines from figures.
- Trace the line with a thick marker.
- Trace again to thicken the lines. Add spots on the ground.
- Fill with bright colors.