Below you’ll find an easy step-by-step tutorial for how to draw a Romero Britto Cat and Coloring Page. It’s all about drawing with lots of bright colors and patterns.
Romero Britto was born in Brazil and had a modest childhood. Today he is an internationally renowned pop artist. His use of vibrant colors and eye-catching patterns help him spread a message of optimism and love around the globe. It’s easy to draw a Romero Britto cat, and try out his colorful abstract drawing style.
This cat drawing project may look pretty simple, but a little bit of planning will help in the process. Here are a few suggestions to give your students, so you can still see the patterned cat when they are done coloring. Too many random colors might camouflage it, and make it hard to see the cat shape itself.
- When the drawing is done, students need to decide if they are making a warm colored cat on a cool background, or a cool cat on a warm background. The shapes are so abstract that they will blend into each other if they do not choose.
- The black lines on the cat work best if they are traced several times so they are very thick. They will also help show off the cat shape and make sure you can see it.
- This is a good project to try layering similar colors of marker. A solid base that has lines or dots drawn on top with a similar color, makes the coloring process a lot easier. An example is dark green on light green, orange on yellow, and red on orange.
If students follow these suggestions when they draw a Romero Britto cat, they are sure to create a very vibrant and colorful cat that is sitting on an equally colorful background. Britto’s style of drawing is incredibly fun to imitate and learn from.
Pin me to your Pinterest Board!
Use the Button below to Download a PDF Tutorial
Britto Cat Coloring Page
New! See my Coloring Page Gallery
Materials to Draw a Britto Cat
Note: This post contains affiliate links. If you click and take action, I will be compensated a small amount at no expense to you.
- Drawing Paper. Don’t substitute it with copy paper or construction paper. The surface will get fuzzy, erasing might cause holes, and the colors will generally not look as bright.
- Pencil. The Ticonderoga brand are the most reliable, make nice dark lines when you need them, and are the easiest to erase.
- Eraser. Large ones you can hold in your hand do a much better job than just the pencil tips.Stabilo Markers. They have the best colors, the best tips, and last the longest.
- Black Sharpie Marker. These fine point permanent markers make nice black lines, have a good tip for coloring, and never bleed when they get wet. Use them in areas with good ventilation and add extra paper underneath for table protection.
- Stabilo Markers. The large pack provides lots of fun color choices, several shades of each color, including a few choices for skin. The tips are perfect for coloring, and there’s even a promise that they will work after being uncapped for 8 weeks!
How to Draw a Britto Cat Step by Step
Time needed: 1 hour.
How to Draw a Britto Cat
- Start the head shape.
- Connect the top of the head with two ears.
- Draw two paws under the cat chin.
- Add a large half circle for the body.
- Add three curved lines.
- Draw the outside of the eyes.
- Draw the inside circle eyes. Divide the background with 4 lines.
- Lastly, add more colored patterns on top.
- Trace with a very thick black marker and fill in shapes.