Learn how to draw a rat with this step-by-step tutorial, and you’ll be all set to celebrate the lunar Chinese New Year on Jan. 25th, 2020. Yep, it’s gonna be the Year of the Rat!
The Rat is the first of the 12 animal signs in the Chinese zodiac. Anyone who is born under this sign is said to be intelligent, charming, quick-witted, practical, ambitious, and good at economizing. Not the qualities most people associate with rats, right?
This tutorial is made with simple shapes that still keep the qualities of a rat, namely the long face and body. Hopefully it’s just the right mix of kinda easy, kinda realistic, and kinda cute … to keep your students interest.
*The above product links are referrals. If you click through and take action, I’ll be compensated a small amount, at no extra expense to you.
Time needed: 1 hour.
How to Draw a Rat
- Draw the main body shape.
- Add the head and neck.
- Draw the large back leg.
- Erase leg line and draw two front legs.
- Erase leg line and draw eyes and nose.
- Erase nose line and add draw two ears.
- Erase ear line, draw rug and wall.
- Trace and color with markers.
- Add extra layer of color for shadows.