Learn how to draw a stegosaurus with all the cool plates along his back and tail. He’s got a fierce look that is all his own.
The Stegosaurus is one of the most famously known dinosaurs. The four-legged, plant eating, armored dinosaur roamed the Earth during the Late Jurassic period. These living tanks could weigh up to 2.5 tons and grow up to 30 feet in length.
The Stegosaurus is best know for the the upright plates that run along the length of its spine, making it very a very tough meal against larger dinosaurs. For more defense, it also had a spiked tail it could whip at other predators. Scientists have found over 80 individual skeletons of Stegosaurus, many coming from the western United States.
- Stegosaurus PDF Tutorial
- Drawing paper
- Black marker
Time needed: 1 hour.
How to Draw a Stegosaurus
- Fold to make guidelines. Draw a circle.
- Add a tail.
- Draw the top of the neck and head.
- Finish connecting the head to the body.
- Draw two legs as shown, and add an eye.
- Start the spikes with radial lines.
- Add plate shapes around the lines. Add the remaining leg lines.
- Draw more plate lines and spikes on the tail. Add a background.
- Trace with a marker and color with crayons or pencil crayons.