Expand your dinosaur drawing skills by learning how to draw a mastodon. They look a lot like mammoths, just with shorter legs and longer body.
Learn how to draw an animal that roamed the early with the early ancestors of humans. The mastodons, which are in the same family as mammoths, are different in numerous ways. They were shorter, stockier and had smaller, straighter tusks. They lived around 11,000 years ago.
Mastodons roamed in herds and mostly lived within forests. They found their found through browsing and grazing which is very similar to their modern day relatives, the elephant.
Save me to your Pinterest Board!
Use the Button below to Download a PDF Tutorial
Mastodon Coloring Page
Materials for Mastodon Project
- Drawing Paper. This is the good stuff you can buy in bulk for a good price.
- Pencils. I like how this brand always makes nice dark lines.
- Black Marker. A permanent marker will give you a dark black color.
- Crayons. The larger packs are nice for more color choices.
- Note: All of the above are Amazon affiliate links.
Step by Step Directions for Mastodon Project
Time needed: 1 hour
How to Draw a Mastodon
- Make guidelines. Draw an oval.
- Start the head as shown.
- Add the trunk. Leave room for the mouth.
- Finish the mouth. Add a large tusk.
- Draw back tusk. Add and ear and eye.
- Draw two legs as shown.
- Draw back legs and a tail.
- Erase extra lines. Add a background.
- Trace with a marker and color.