Learn how to draw a Cartoon Fish with big, overlapping eyes and a sizable underbite. Makes a silly drawing every time!
Cartoon drawing is all about exaggeration. If the eyes have no lids, make them extra big to show that off. If the mouth has an underbite, then make it really long. It can take some practice to come up with ideas on your own, but trying out some exaggeration is a good place to start.
It’s also good to remember that cartoon drawing gets a lot of its impact from color. Whether using markers or pastels or even pencil crayons, cartooning is no time to take short cuts. A fun character that is filled with lots of bright color, will always have a lot more impact than something colored quickly, and perhaps a bit more scribbly. Neatness counts, when it comes to being a cartoon artist.
Looking for more cartoon drawing ideas? You can find a lot more tutorials on my Cartoon Drawings gallery page.
- How to Draw a Cartoon Fish (click to download a PDF)
- Drawing paper
- Black marker
Time needed: 30 minutes.
How to Draw a Cartoon Fish
- Draw two overlapping circles for eyes.
- Start the top of the fish body.
- Finish the bottom with an underbite.
- Add a top lip, erase line inside.
- Draw two fins and tail.
- Add lines inside the fins and tail.
- Draw a few scales, and eyelashes.
- Add bubbles all around.
- Trace with marker and color.