Below you’ll find an easy step-by-step tutorial for a Magritte Art Project for kids and a Magritte Coloring Page.
This Magritte art project for kids will help students recreate one of his most famous paintings, and add their customization. Students are encouraged to come up with their own object to add in front of the blank face, and may either draw it directly on the paper or cut it out separately and attach afterwards.
René Magritte (1898 – 1967) was a surrealist artist, known for creating a number of witty and thought-provoking images. He first attended an art school in Brussels, Belgium and then took various jobs to earn money, including designing wallpaper and fashion ads.
Some Magritte’s favorite things to paint were men in suits and bowler hats, blue skies with clouds and a view of the sea, windows, doors and many familiar objects like pipes, apples, eggs and birds. Rather than place any of these items in their normal settings, Magritte liked to mix things up. He would place these realistic objects somewhere unusual, which would grab people’s attention.
Use the Button below to download a PDF Tutorial
Magritte Coloring Page
Materials for Drawing like Magritte
- Drawing Paper. This is the good stuff you can buy in bulk for a good price.
- Pencils. I like how this brand always makes nice dark lines.
- Black Marker. A permanent marker will give you a dark black color.
- Crayons. The larger packs are nice for more color choices.
- Note: All of the above are Amazon affiliate links.
Step by Step directions for Drawing like Magritte
Time needed: 45 minutes.
How to Draw like Magritte
- Start the head with a U shape and ears.
- Add a bowl shape on top.
- Draw the shirt collar and tie.
- Add the coat lapel.
- Draw the body of the coat.
- Add the sleeves and hands.
- Draw the wall, sea and sky.
- Two options for the final step.
#1. Draw, color on another piece of paper.
#2. Draw directly on the face, trace and color.
- Glue the object on the face, if necessary.
This sample is like Magritte’s original, with an apple.