Below you’ll find an easy step-by-step tutorial for how to draw a Blue Dog and a Blue Dog Coloring Page. It was a series of work that catapulted artist George Rodrigue into worldwide fame in the early 1990s.
Blue Dog Drawing
When learning how to draw Blue Dog, try using a couple of different brands of crayons to get more color choices. I used a combination of Prang and Crayola, and pressed pretty hard to get the really vibrant colors shown in my sample.
George Rodrigue (1944 – 2013) was a Cajun artist who grew up in Louisiana. He went to an all-boys high school and then later studied at two art colleges, one in Louisiana and one in California. He later trained in New York. George began by painting outdoor scenes at family gatherings, using an oak tree as his main subject in hundreds of paintings.
Rodrigue’s art studies at the University of Louisiana at Lafayette and the Art Center College of Design in Los Angeles spawned one of the greatest success stories in American art. In the early 1990s his Blue Dog Series, based on the French-Cajun loup-garou legend, catapulted him to worldwide fame, while his dark Renaissance-like landscapes developed into robust modern masterpieces.
As a passionate philanthropist, Rodrigue founded the George Rodrigue Foundation of the Arts, advocating the importance of the arts in education. Programs include art supplies for schools, scholarships, and arts integration through Louisiana A+ Schools. Visit www.rodriguefoundation.org.
You can learn more about George Rodrigue on Wendy’s blog and the book The Other Side of the Painting (2013, UL Press).
Use the Button below to Download a PDF Tutorial
Save me to your Pinterest Board
Blue Dog Coloring Page
Materials to Draw a Blue Dog
- Drawing Paper. This is the good stuff you can buy in bulk for a good price.
- Pencils. I like how this brand always makes nice dark lines.
- Black Marker. A permanent marker will give you a dark black color.
- Crayons. The larger packs are nice for more color choices.
- Note: All of the above are Amazon affiliate links.
Step by Step directions to Draw a Blue Dog
Time needed: 45 minutes
How to Draw Blue Dog for Kids
- Start by drawing a circle.
- Add the center snout shape.
- Erase the inside of the snout and add two eyes.
- Add the nose, brows and the ears.
- Draw the left front leg shape.
- Add the right front leg shape.
- Draw the two back legs and the belly line.
- Erase the gray lines and add bits of extra fur.
- Trace with a marker and color.