Learn how to draw a Labrador, one of the most popular breeds of dogs around. It’s easy when you have some step by step directions.
Labrador Retrievers are perhaps the most recognizable dogs in the country, and every year they are named as the most popular breed in the U.S. Their fun-loving personalities combined with their gentleness and willingness to please their owners makes them the perfect family pet.
This tutorial will help young artists draw a Lab with all their adorable features. The big eyes and floppy ears need to be in the right size, and right place, for them to look like a Lab, and not any other of the many dog breeds that are out there.
Once the drawing is done, their are a few choices for coloring too. Labs not only come in Black, Yellow and Chocolate colors, there are White, Red and Silver breeds too.
Use the Button below to Download a PDF Tutorial
Materials for How to Draw a Labrador
- Pencil. The Ticonderoga brand are the most reliable, make nice dark lines when you need them, and are the easiest to erase. Buying the pre-sharpened ones will save busy teachers a lot of time.
- Eraser. Large ones you can hold in your hand do a much better job than just the pencil tip erasers, especially when erasing leftover pencil lines after tracing.
- Black Sharpie Marker. These fine point permanent marker pens make nice black outlines, have a good tip for coloring, and never bleed when they get wet. Use them with good ventilation and add extra paper underneath to protect your tables.
- Prang Crayons. These are a bit softer than other crayons so they sometimes look like oil pastels. They also have a some nice brown shades that Crayola does not have unless you buy their larger boxes.
- Crayola Crayons. The reliable brand that always works well. The 24 pack has some of my favorite golden orange and yellow colors that seem a bit richer and warmer than the ones Prang has.
Directions for How to Draw a Labrador Step by Step
Time needed: 35 minutes.
How to Draw a Labrador
- Draw a circle for a head.
- Add the two eyes.
- Draw a nose and add highlight spots.
- Draw the mouth shape at the bottom.
- Erase the gray legs, add two ears.
- Erase the gray lines, add front legs.
- Add the back leg shapes and belly line.
- Finish the tail and grass line.
- Trace with a marker and color.