Below you’ll find an easy step-by-step tutorial for how to draw a Koala and a Koala Coloring Page. Now two fun options are available on the same page!
Here are some quick facts before you learn how to draw a Koala. The very first is a correction on what their correct name is.
You may have heard people call them koala ‘bears’ before, but these animals aren’t bears at all – they are in fact marsupials. As group of mammals, most marsupials have pouches where their newborns develop. Call them a koala bear and someone in Australia will be flinching at the mistake. Those that know and love these animals hate to see misinformation spread about them.
While koalas are not officially endangered right now, their status is unstable and population numbers are dropping. Their decline is due to a combination of climate crises, bushfires, habitat loss, tree clearing and disease. The WWF-Australia has warned that koalas could become extinct in New South Wales, Australia’s most populous state by 2050.
This simple tutorial was made to bring more awareness to the plight of these fascinating and adorable animals. The body has been simplified to just a few easy shapes to draw, but the overall look is still as cute as ever.
The first option below is recommended for younger elementary students, as it focuses on just some simple overlapping shapes. The second is just a bit more complex and allows for some fun shading practice too.
A preview of my PDF Tutorial
Koala Coloring Page
How to Draw a Koala Materials
- Drawing Paper. This is the good stuff you can buy in bulk for a good price.
- Pencils. I like how this brand always makes nice dark lines.
- Black Marker. A permanent marker will give you a dark black color.
- Crayons. The larger packs are nice for more color choices.
- Note: All of the above are Amazon affiliate links.
How to Draw a Koala Directions
Time needed: 30 minutes.
How to Draw a Koala Step by Step
- Draw a large circle.
- Add two diagonal lines.
- Add one ear on the left side.
- . Draw the other ear, partly behind the tree.
- Add nose and eyes for the face.
- Draw a curved arm below the head.
- Add two legs wrapped around the tree.
- Add a small hand, and erase the gray lines.
- Trace the drawing with a marker and color.