The best day to learn how to draw a puppy, might be the day that the infamous Puppy Bowl plays on TV. No shortage of inspiration there!
Just in time for Super Bowl Sunday’s Puppy Bowl, here’s a tutorial to draw a dog that definitely looks like a puppy, and not just a small dog. Puppies have their own special features, just one of the reasons most find them so irresistible.
Dogs come in all shapes and sizes, of course, but a puppy is not just a scaled down version of a full-grown dog. The head needs to be on the large size, and the legs need to be a little short. The combination gives the impression of a body they have yet to grow into, which is true for almost any baby animal (or human!) for that matter.
- How to Draw a Puppy (click to open PDF)
- Drawing paper
- Black marker, chisel tip
Time needed: 45 minutes.
How to Draw a Puppy
- Draw a U shaped head at an angle.
- Add the two ears on the top.
- Draw the inside ears, erase the gray lines.
- Add two eyes and a nose.
- Draw two symmetrical front legs.
- Add the belly and back legs.
- Draw the nails on the toes, and light fur lines.
- Finish with a grass line.
- Trace with a marker and color.