Below you’ll find an easy step-by-step tutorial for how to draw an easy Snake and a Snake Coloring Page. There are more than a couple of options to choose from!
Snake drawings don’t have to be stretched out, looking like they are flat on a page. Many snakes coil themselves up to take a rest in the sun, and this tutorial will show students how easy it is to do just that.
By starting at the top with the head, and adding the neck and curved lines below, the rings look like they are all stacked on top of each other. This snake has three, but ambitious artists could continue the pattern to make many more. It’s a fun way to pose a snake and make the drawing fill up the entire page. This snake is a solid color, buts lots of stripes and patterns could be added too.
Elements of Art Connection: This snake drawing uses LINES to make the ring SHAPES that are stacked up on each other. And when students press extra hard to make a shadow along the edges, the change in the VALUE of the color (it’s gotten darker) makes the snake look more 3D, or dimensional.
Use the Button below to download a PDF Tutorial
Snake Coloring Page
- Drawing Paper. This is the good stuff you can buy in bulk for a good price.
- Pencils. I like how this brand always makes nice dark lines.
- Black Marker. A permanent marker will give you a dark black color.
- Crayons. The larger packs are nice for more color choices.
- Note: All of the above are Amazon affiliate links.
Time needed: 45 minutes.
How to Draw an Easy Snake Step by Step
- Draw an oval for the head.
- Start the neck below.
- Continue the neck with a curve.
- Add another ring below.
- Draw another ring and a tail.
- Erase the lines, draw the eyes.
- Add a smile.
- Erase gray lines, draw grass and sky.
- Trace with marker and color.