Below you’ll find an easy step-by-step how to draw a Chinese Dragon Tutorial Video and a Chinese Dragon Coloring Page. It’s perfect for celebrating the Chinese New Year.
Chinese Dragon Drawing
This year the Chinese New Year falls on February 10th, and celebrations culminate with the Lantern Festival on February 24th. Students can use the tutorial below learn how to draw a Chinese dragon in one of its more classic forms.
There are many ways to draw a dragon, some more complicated than others. This version has a body that is more like a snake, the feet with distinct claws, and spikes running down the entire back, and so on.
The trick to drawing one is to figure out how to get some main shapes in place, and then add lots (and lots!) of detail. This tutorial should do the trick for those that really want to draw something that looks like the original, without getting frustrated with all those spikes and claws.
Chinese Dragon Drawing Video
Join “The Daily Draw” below to get this instant download!
Chinese Dragon Coloring Page
Materials to Draw a Dragon
- Drawing Paper. This is the good stuff you can buy in bulk for a good price.
- Pencils. I like how this brand always makes nice dark lines.
- Black Marker. A permanent marker will give you a dark black color.
- Crayons. The larger packs are nice for more color choices.
- Note: All of the above are Amazon affiliate links.
How to Draw a Dragon Step by Step
Time needed: 45 minutes
How to Draw and Easy Dragon
- Fold or print guide lines. Start the body.
- Add a matching curve line.
- Draw the head, open mouth and tongue.
- Add two legs and feet on the close side.
- Add two legs and feet on the far side.
- Draw the belly line with stripes.
- Add the spikes on the back.
- Finish with a fiery looking tail.
- Trace with marker and color.
Already subscribed to “The Daily Draw”?
Great, then use the download button below to get your free Chinese Dragon tutorial. And thanks for wanting to bring more step-by-step, no-prep art lessons to your classroom!