Learn how to draw a beach, with this fun and easy step by step tutorial. A few boats in the distance will add a sense of space.
Even the simplest of drawings can ooze charm, when drawn by children. This one has super simplified bodies, lots of fun things that you see at the beach, and even a little perspective with sailboats receding in the distance.
Encourage your young artists to use this tutorial as just a starting point, so they can add their own favorite details. After all, everyone has their own favorite way of how to spend a day there.
Preview of the step by step Draw a Beach tutorial
Beach Coloring Page
Materials for How to Draw a Beach
- Pencil. The Ticonderoga brand are the most reliable, make nice dark lines when you need them, and are the easiest to erase. Buying the pre-sharpened ones will save busy teachers a lot of time.
- Eraser. Large ones you can hold in your hand do a much better job than just the pencil tip erasers, especially when erasing leftover pencil lines after tracing.
- Black Sharpie Marker. These fine point permanent marker pens make nice black outlines, have a good tip for coloring, and never bleed when they get wet. Use them with good ventilation and add extra paper underneath to protect your tables.
- Prang Crayons. These are a bit softer than other crayons so they sometimes look like oil pastels. They also have a some nice brown shades that Crayola does not have unless you buy their larger boxes.
- Crayola Crayons. The reliable brand that always works well. The 24 pack has some of my favorite golden orange and yellow colors that seem a bit richer and warmer than the ones Prang has.
Step by Step Directions for How to Draw a Beach
Time needed: 1 hour.
How to Draw a Beach
- Start a body on the lower left corner.
- Add legs, hair and bathing suit.
- Draw a blanket and umbrella.
- Add wavy line for water, and pail with shovel.
- Draw a figure on the right.
- Add a beach ball and lots of starfish.
- Draw two sailboats in the distance.
- Add a horizon line, waves and sky with clouds and birds.
- Trace with a marker and color.