Below you’ll find an easy step-by-step tutorial for how to draw a rose for Kids and a Rose Coloring Page. It has the look of a flower that is just beginning to bloom.
Learn how to draw some simple roses that look like they are about to bloom. Young students can just draw lines inside to make the petal shapes, but older ones may be able to see a pattern.
This is also a good painting project as it’s so much easier to paint circles than tiny little petals. Try mixing in some hot pink and orange for an extra pop of color.
I wish I could thank the Flickr artist who thought this up, it’s certainly inspired quite a few art projects, just starting with this one.
Use the Button below to Download a PDF Tutorial
Rose Coloring Page
Materials to draw a Rose for Kids
Note: This post contains affiliate links. If you click and take action, I will be compensated a small amount at no expense to you.
- Watercolor Paper.
- Real watercolor paper always makes the watercolor paint much more vibrant.
- The Ticonderoga brand are the most reliable, make nice dark lines when you need them, and are the easiest to erase.
- Rounded Watercolor Brush.
- A good paint brush can make all the difference in the world. Who can paint small details with one of those big floppy brushes? This style with a sturdy rounded tip were my hands down favorite.
- Liquid Watercolor Paint.
- These are so easy to work with, leave such bright colors and make clean up so easy.
- Non-Spill Paint Cup.
- Train your students to leave the matching brush in each cup after they use it, and you have an easy system with very little cleanup.
Step by Step Directions to Draw a Rose
Time needed: 1 hour.
How to Draw a Rose for Kids
- Draw 6 circles.
- For each rose, start with curved line.
- Add another to kind of make a V shape.
- Start another V shape that is turned a bit.
- Finish that V shape.
- Rotate to start another V shape.
- Finish that V shape and add one more inside.
- Repeat for all the circle flowers. Add leaves and vines.
- Trace with permanent black marker and paint with watercolors.