Learn how to draw easy 3D letters, just like the artist Robert Indiana, then color them with shadows for some extra dimension.
Use the Button below to Download a PDF Tutorial
These stacked letters were inspired by the work of Robert Indiana, an American artist, famous for his series of LOVE posters and sculptures. While the first LOVE sculpture was crafted in 1970, the origins of its design can be traced back to six years earlier, when the Museum of Modern Art in New York City commissioned Indiana to create a Christmas card.
Over the course of several decades, Indiana would go on to create over 50 editions of the sculpture for sites around the world, from New York City and Philadelphia to Singapore and Taipei. While these pieces vary in scale and color palette, they are all rendered in Indiana’s signature serifed style and always incorporate a tilted character—even when written in another language or spelling out a different word, like HOPE.
This project focuses on simple block letters, spread out in their own boxes, so students can see how each letter is shaped by itself. The tutorial shows how to draw a simple block letter, then add sides and connect them to make the back edge.
3D Block LOVE Letters Coloring Page
Materials for How to Draw 3D Block LOVE Letters Drawing
- Pencil. The Ticonderoga brand are the most reliable, make nice dark lines when you need them, and are the easiest to erase. Buying the pre-sharpened ones will save busy teachers a lot of time.
- Eraser. Large ones you can hold in your hand do a much better job than just the pencil tip erasers, especially when erasing leftover pencil lines after tracing.
- Black Sharpie Marker. These fine point permanent marker pens make nice black outlines, have a good tip for coloring, and never bleed when they get wet. Use them with good ventilation and add extra paper underneath to protect your tables.
- Prang Crayons. These are a bit softer than other crayons so they sometimes look like oil pastels. They also have a some nice brown shades that Crayola does not have unless you buy their larger boxes.
- Crayola Crayons. The reliable brand that always works well. The 24 pack has some of my favorite golden orange and yellow colors that seem a bit richer and warmer than the ones Prang has.
Step by step Directions for How to Draw 3D Block LOVE Letters Drawing
Time needed: 1 hour.
How to draw 3D Letters
- Draw a block letter L, add angles, and connect.
- Draw a block letter O, add angles, and fill in with curves.
- Draw a block letter V, add angles, and connect.
- Draw a block letter E, add angles, and connect.