Here’s how to draw an easy Valentine Teddy Bear with a big red heart, perfect for a homemade card. Simple shapes make it easy for all ages.
Since the creation of the first teddy bears which sought to imitate the form of real bear cubs, “teddies” have greatly varied in form, style, color, and material. Some have even become collectors items, with old and rare ones appearing at public auctions.
The name “teddy bear” has a pretty interesting history to it. A story goes that President Theodore “Teddy” Roosevelt was once on a hunting trip and refused to shoot a defenseless bear. A subsequent cartoon of the event inspired some savvy toymakers of the day to create the very first “Teddy’s Bear”. The rest, as they say, is history.
As a drawing choice though, teddy bears are the perfect subject matter for young children. They know what one looks like, have much affection for them, and can easily draw their simple bodies. Top it off with a ton of coloring options, and you have a fun drawing project for any day, but maybe especially Valentine’s Day.
Pin me to your Pinterest Board
Use the Button below to download a PDF Tutorial
Valentine Teddy Bear Coloring Page
Materials for Valentine Teddy Bear Project
- Eraser. Large ones you can hold in your hand do a much better job than just the pencil tips.
- Black Sharpie Marker. These fine point permanent marker pens make nice black outlines, have a good tip for coloring, and never bleed when they get wet. Use them with good ventilation and add extra paper underneath to protect your tables.
- Prang Crayons. These are a bit softer than other crayons so they sometimes look like oil pastels. They also have a some nice brown shades that Crayola does not have unless you buy their larger boxes.
- Crayola Crayons. The reliable brand that always works well. The 24 pack has some of my favorite golden orange and yellow colors that seem a bit richer and warmer than the ones Prang has.
Step by Step Directions Valentine Teddy Bear Project
Time needed: 25 minutes.
How to Draw an Easy Teddy Bear
- Draw the round head shape.
- Add two ears.
- Draw two eyes with spots.
- Add the nose and mouth.
- Draw a large U for belly.
- Add two simple arms.
- Draw two legs.
- Add pads to the feet, and a heart.
- Trace with marker and color.