Below you’ll find a step-by-step tutorial for easy Heart Drawing Ideas Video and a Heart Coloring page. All kinds of possibilities for homemade Valentine cards!
Heart Drawing Ideas as a Valentine Card
Why try this Heart Drawing Project?
After many a Valentine’s Day trying out new projects, one of my favorite heart drawing ideas has been this simple kind of doodle drawing. It doesn’t require any special talent, just some patience and a desire to see what happens when you repeat a pattern over and over again.
Some students may start their drawing with really “tight” zig zags, and some a bit looser. No worries, both will look just fine, as long as they try to stay consistent throughout the whole drawing. It’s the repetition of whatever they get started with, that creates a kind of Rhythm to their artwork. (One of the Principles of Design, by the way.)
My heart drawing shown above was drawn with colored pencils, which I believe offers the best texture and detail to all those lines. But if you only have crayons or markers on hand, that is fine too. The look will still be very pretty, just a little different.
The Heart Drawing Ideas tutorial that you can download below will walk students through a plan to make three hearts that radiate in front of a zig zag background. It creates a layered look that make the hearts pop out even more!
For a quick solution to getting your students drawing right away, the coloring page will provide the beginning heart shapes for them.
Subscribe to “The Daily Draw” below to get this instant download!
Template to make Heart Drawing Card
Materials for an Easy Heart
- Drawing paper. Standard weight paper has exceptional body and strength, perfect texture for all dry media renderings, and erases well.
- Prismacolor. My favorite colored pencils. Soft, thick cores are perfect for shading and shadows. The lead is a bit softer, which means they need to be sharpened more often. Perfect for older students that can appreciate the rich colors.
Step by Step Directions to Draw a Heart
Time needed: 1 hour
How to draw a Heart
- Trace 3 hearts using a template, and color inside.
- Draw a radial zig zag ring around each heart.
- Draw another zig zag ring around each.
- Draw another zig zag ring, until the rings start to touch each other.
- When the heart rings touch, switch to filling in the background with one big row of rings.
- Glue the heart drawing to the front of a sheet of colorful card stock paper.
Already subscribed to “The Daily Draw”?
Great, then use the download button below to get your free Easy Heart tutorial. And thanks for wanting to bring more step-by-step, no-prep art lessons to your classroom!